Tuesday

Settling In…


Being in a new work environment always takes me a while to settle into. Even when it's wonderful. Especially when it's wonderful. I find myself taking long pauses just to breathe in the atmosphere, and puttering around with this, or that, to get everything "just so." Sharpening pencils, Steinbbeck used to call it, when a writer does such things before actually beginning to write. 

Today, I mostly sharpened pencils. 

Not that I don't have some exciting projects to look forward to, because I do. I can't wait to get started on them. I just keep getting side-tracked. For instance, I had two pleasant visitors today that I couldn't ignore. Neighbors, I think. One was a seagull who came by to crack open a mussel shell on one of the brass deck fittings. Something tells me this little trick has been done many times before. 


Not much later, a harbor seal came up for air beside the boat and brushed against the side while meandering by. About half an hour later, he (or she) came back on the other side and did the same thing. When you have been on the prairies as long as I have, it's hard to pass such things by. I love all the life that goes on along a waterfront.

Tomorrow, I'll do better, maybe, but I'm not sure. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here at 10:30 at night, still trying to get Monday's blog on. The hatch is open, I can see moonlight and stars, and a cool breeze is coming in. And now there is a pitter-patter of some night bird up on deck… 

Glory B! What a welcome I'm having!

No comments:

Post a Comment